£40.63 per hour including accrued holiday pay
Minimum call time of 2 hours
Job offers are on a casual basis only
The Royal Opera, under the musical direction of Antonio Pappano and Opera Director Oliver Mears, is one of the world’s leading opera companies. Based in the iconic Covent Garden theatre, it is renowned both for its outstanding performances of traditional opera and for commissioning new works by today’s leading opera composers, from Judith Weir and Mark-Anthony Turning to George Benjamin and Kaija Saariaho.
We are currently recruiting exceptional musical staff to join our pool of freelancers, to mentor ROH Directors and Guest Directors to work with The Royal Opera to the highest artistic standards.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate these qualities:
– In-depth knowledge of the lyrical repertoire
– Significant experience as a coach for a major opera company (please specify)
– A high-level coach/assistant conductor and equivalent recital experience with international-level singers
– In-depth knowledge of the working processes of an opera company, with programming experience
– A team player, with a natural rapport with singers, conductors and directors, who gets involved in the creative process and is interested in all productions
– Fluency in German, French and Italian
The first round will require applicants to:
– Play and sing in German an excerpt from Die Walkre Act 1 – starting 2 bars before Fig 51 – Sehr Lebhaft before “O fnd Ich ihn heut”
– Play and sing in Italian an extract from Le Nozze di Figaro Act 2 Finale, from Measure 328 (Signori di fuori)
– Play and sing a prepared excerpt of your choice – maximum 3.5 minutes
– Sight-read 2 short sections of spoken text in German and French
– Prepared sight reading. Candidates will be given a complex sight-reading 10 minutes before the start of the audition and will then be asked to perform it during the audition.
– Sight reading of the standard lyrical repertoire, without preparation time.
– Successful candidates will then be invited to a second round of auditions the same week.
All information about our team of freelance musicians, the audition process and how to apply is detailed in the application package available on our website. The auditions will take place in person on June 7 and 8, 2022.
The Royal Opera House is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment in which everyone can thrive. We welcome applications from those who are currently underrepresented in our workforce; in particular, those who are ethnically diverse and/or disabled. As a Disability Confident Employer, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum essential criteria for our open positions.
If you have any questions, please contact the Human Resources Department at [email protected] You can also contact us if you have access needs to make a request.
Please apply through our website via the link below.
Deadline for submitting applications: Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 8:00 a.m.